Family Law

We understand that the decision to divorce or separate is never taken lightly, we aim therefore to deal with such cases both tactfully and with compassion.

View our client testimonials.

Advice is given and representation at Court is provided in the following areas:-

1. Divorce or Legal Separation

When the marriage breaks down irretrievably - Divorce or Legal Separation where appropriate.

2. Children Act Matters
To include:
  1. Arrangements for Children.
  2. Parental Responsibility, as a father - if you are not married to the mother of your child you may not have parental rights, duties and responsibilities to your child.
  3. Specific Issues, such as schooling and disagreements as to which country a child may live.

3. Finances in Divorce
To include:
  1. Transfer or sale of the family home.
  2. Other capital assets - e.g. holiday homes, business interest, partnerships, narrowboats!
  3. Pension Sharing - can you claim a share of your spouse’s pension? How is this share determined? Should it be income for life or a one off capital payment?
  4. Clean break Order or ongoing maintenance until death or remarriage or a definite date.

Daniel Martyn Williams

Daniel Martyn Williams

4. Civil Partnerships and Unmarried Couples

Cases involving couples who are married or who have formed a Civil Partnership (i.e. same sex couples) are dealt with under the Family Proceedings Rules. These rules afford the Court a wide discretion in deciding the outcome of each case.

Cases involving unmarried couples, however, are dealt with under the Civil Procedure Rules, a totally different Court procedural system with different factors to consider. The concept of “Common law husband and wife” does not exist in the Law at present.

5. Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants)
Act 1975

Inheritance (Provision For Family and Dependants) Act 1975 claims: These amount to a claim made either by a spouse, ex-spouse (or Civil Partner) or partner (unmarried) or a child or other dependant of a person who has died where the Deceased has failed to make adequate financial provision for the claimant. The time limit for lodging such claims is very strict.

6. Change of Name

If you wish to be known by a different name, you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. You change your forename or surname, add names or re-arrange your existing names.

Contact us for more information...


The materials appearing on this website do not constitute legal advice and are provided for general information purposes only. No warranty, whether expressed or implied, is given in relation to such materials. Morgan and Co Solicitors shall not be liable for any technical, editorial, typographical or other errors or omissions within the materials provided on this website, nor shall we be responsible for the content of any web images or information linked to this website

::: Site by Charles Design :::